NPL Wrap: Women progress, men go back-to-back


It was a successful weekend for the both academy sides as the women triumphed in their Elimination Final against Nepean FC with a 4-2 extra time victory, whilst the men secured back-to-back victories, coming from behind to beat Spirit FC 2-1. Congratulations to the under 17’s side who also progressed into the Semi Finals.

Central Coast Mariners Academy Women 4 (Collins, Wise, McAtamney, Tucker) Nepean FC 2

The women’s Academy have progressed to the NPL 2 Semi Finals after defeating Nepean FC in extra time.

The women came into finals football with a full strength side after key players were rested the week before. Dan Barrett’s women came out with a lot of promise and the quality of the side showed as Leisel Collins gave the Mariners the lead after just 11 minutes. Despite the fast start, Nepean caught the Mariners defence off guard and managed to equalise just seven minutes later. Both sides traded blows but couldn’t be separated as the half ended.

The Second half carried on in the same way as the first as both sides just couldn’t find the finishing product. The referee would blow full time with the sides still level and the game went to extra time. It was a brilliant start for the girls as Danielle Wise regained the lead for the yellow and navy in the 91st minute. The referee would bring an end to the first half of extra time with the girls just one goal ahead.

The second lot of 15 minutes started the same way as the first when Jade McAtamney gave the Mariners some breathing space as her strike made it 3-1. Nepean would make it a tense final 10 minutes, pulling one back but Mikala Tucker put the nail in the coffin making it 4-2 and sealing progression to the Semi Finals.

Earlier Results:

  • U14s: LOST 2-1
  • U15s: BYE
  • U17s: WON 2-1
  • Reserve Grade: LOST 4-1 

GHFA Spirit FC 1 Central Coast Mariners Academy 2 (Jevtic & Smylie)

It was another must win clash for Nick Montgomery’s men on a very windy Saturday night at Chrisite Park.

Both sides showed intent in the first half, as chances were created but the defences held firm. Jordan Smylie and Kyle Johnson tried desperately to repeat last week’s efforts but came to no avail as the teams went int the break all square.

The second half was a lot more frantic and Spirit tried to make the most of their home advantage. The deadlock was finally broken as Ahmed Sweedan found his way past the defence and slotted the ball past Munford. It didn’t take long for the Mariners to equalise and just 2 minutes later, Joey Jevtic converted a peach of a free kick. The Yellow and Navy carried all the momentum and were able to take the lead in the 75th minute through Jordan Smylie, who grabbed his 9th goal of the season after great lead up play by Max Balard. The home side fought hard to nab an equaliser, but the Mariners were solid at the back and came out worthy winners.

It’s the first time this season the men’s Academy have secured back to back victories and will be looking for three in a row as they host Blacktown Spartans in the penultimate fixture.

Earlier Results:

  • U18s: LOST 2-1
  • U20s: WON 4-3