NPL Wrap: All women’s teams bound for finals football


It was an action-packed day at Pluim Park on Sunday which saw the men’s Academy defeat Mounties Wanderers 3-0 and all junior grades take out the three points. Also, a very young women’s Academy side were downed 2-0 by UNSW FC. The Central Coast Mariners would like to congratulate the women’s program, with all FIVE teams qualifying for finals football. 

Central Coast Mariners Academy 3 (Smylie, Hatch, Johnson) vs. Mounties Wanderers 0

It was a crucial game on Sunday afternoon as the men’s Academy welcomed an inform Mounties Wanderers to Pluim Park.

Nick Montgomery’s men showed attacking intent at the start of the match and caught Mounties off guard. Jordan Smylie grabbed his eighth goal of the season, giving the Yellow and Navy an early lead in just the 12th minute. The pressure was kept on Mounties for most of the half as the away side struggled to create a chance of their own. The men took a deserved lead into the break but knew more work had to be done.

The Mariners picked up where they left off for the second half and kept creating goal scoring opportunities. Both Matt Hatch and Kyle Johnson were able to get on the score sheet this half with Hatch scoring his fifth of the season while Johnson netted his fourth. It got worse for the visitors who saw their side reduced to nine men with two players being sent from the field during the half.

The 3-0 win not only secures the sides first clean sheet since April but puts them within six points of the top six. The men are back on the road next week for another tough game against GHFA Spirit FC.

Earlier Results:

  • U18s: WON 2-1
  • U20s: WON 1-0

Central Coast Mariners Academy 0 vs. UNSW FC 2

Having already secured a place in the top five last week, the women’s Academy went into the last game of the season knowing a win would give them a lot of confidence heading into the finals.

It was a difficult first half for the young academy side, with Dan Barrett choosing to rest key players such as Danielle Wise, Gabrielle Blanch and Jade Mcatamney. UNSW FC would take advantage of this and take an early lead which they would see through into the break.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with the girls able to create chances but unable to finish them. The visitors scored a second right before the full-time whistle.

It wasn’t the result the side were hoping for but a good experience for a lot of the younger players in the squad. The girls will take on Nepean FC away from home next Sunday in the elimination final.

Earlier Results:

  • U14s: WON 4-0
  • U15s: LOST 3-1
  • U17s: DREW 0-0
  • Reserve Grade: WON 4-1