Mariners take the three points in dominant Derby Day

The Central Coast Mariners have secured a dominant 3-0 win over the Newcastle Jets on Wednesday night, taking home the three points at Industree Group Stadium. 

In front of over 7000 fans, the Mariners put on an incredible display, ranging from silky passing to highlight reel worthy goals. The result much deserved, the side taking home six points in just the last five days. 

Despite not scoring early the Mariners looked dangerous, finding space in behind Newcastle’s defensive line regularly. Half chances didn’t quite find the back of the net, creating moments that showed the promise that was fulfilled shortly after. 

It took a moment of magic from our Brazilian striker Marco Tulio to hand us the lead, with the forward demonstrating why he is one of the most skilful players in the Isuzu UTE A-League Men’s competition. 

After some sloppy Jets play in the middle of the park, left back Jacob Farrell pinched the ball away, finding Tulio in the process. 

With Jets goalkeeper Jack Duncan off his line the Brazilian took aim, firing a splendid effort from just outside the centre circle. 

His looping shot clearing Duncan before tucking in under the posts, sending the Mariners fans in attendance into raptures with the Central Coast taking a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute. 

Continued dominance almost saw the Mariners double their lead before the break, with Garang Kuol finding Sammy Silvera just outside the penalty area. The winger taking the ball around Newcastle defender Mark Natta, only being denied by a strong Duncan save.

That was the last play of meaning for the half, with the Mariners taking a deserved 1-0 lead into the break. 

Newcastle was almost able to get off to the perfect start in the second half, with Trent Buhagiar finding space down the right hand side. The winger crossing the ball to Beka Mikeltadze, who danced around the box before unleashing a firm strike.

His effort stopped of the line by the head of a heroic Brian Kaltak, keeping our clean sheet intact. 

The Mariners continued dominance throughout the game was finally rewarded with a second goal, this time coming through Jason Cummings.

The play beginning with a driving run from Kaltak, who played it off to the goal scorer. His exquisite chipped touch looping over to Tulio, who played a defence splitting pass to give Cummings space. 

The striker making no mistake, his dinked shot finding the back of the net to hand the Central Coast a 2-0 lead in the 63rd minute. 

With our goal scorer taken off shortly after it was Michael Ruhs’ turn to play havoc with Newcastle’s defence, finding space after another magical ball from Marco Tulio. 

The striker’s shot saved well by a diving Duncan, with the goalkeeper narrowly keeping Newcastle in the contest. 

The result was soon assured after the Mariners were awarded a penalty following a Newcastle handball in the box. Whilst not initially called by the referee, following VAR intervention replays clearly showed the infringement, with the official pointing to the spot. 

A cool, calm and collected Beni Nkololo sent Duncan the wrong way, smashing it into the side netting in the 87th minute to give us the three points.

The Mariners almost had one final goal, with Nkololo dribbling around a rushing Duncan before cutting the ball back. Youngster Sasha Kuzevski found his way onto the pass, blasting his shot into the post, narrowly missing out on his first A-League goal. 

The three points now puts the Mariners in outright third on the Isuzu UTE A-league ladder, with our 18 goals scored over eight games the highest in the league. 

Our eyes now turn to an exciting trip to Melbourne to face Melbourne City in what should be a blockbuster match, with confidence levels high after tonight’s result. 

The Mariners will then be back on the Coast for our New Year’s Eve spectacular against Melbourne Victory, which also acts as Garang Kuol’s final game at Our Paradise.