Mariners suffer narrow defeat to Bulls

The Central Coast Mariners have suffered a narrow defeat at home on Sunday afternoon, going down 2-1 to Macarthur FC in the Isuzu UTE A-League. 

Despite dominating the majority of the match, two second half goals saw the away side take a 2-0 lead in the 84th minute. A stoppage time goal from Brian Kaltak was ultimately not enough, falling to defeat. 

The Mariners were almost able to take the lead on multiple occasions during the first 15 minutes, starting brightly in front of a loud home crowd.

Filip Kurto coming up big on numerous occasions, the first of which was a strong save off the shot of Christian Theoharous in the fifth minute. 

Just two minutes later the shot stopper was required once again, making arguably an even better save. Nisbet cutting the ball back to Torres on the edge of the area, hitting it powerfully towards the Bulls’ net. Kurto pushing it wide, keeping his side in the match early. 

The next 30 minutes saw both team’s test the oppositions goalkeepers without finding the back of the net. Torres again requiring Kurto to make another magnificent save in the 39th minute, with the Colombian beating multiple defenders with his silky dribbling skills. 

His shot seemingly destined for the bottom corner before Kurto again stopped the effort with his outstretched hand, with that shot the final one of meaning in the first half. The scores level at nil-all heading into the break. 

Coming out of the sheds the Mariners thought that they had a penalty after Josh Nisbet was seemingly taken to ground in the penalty area. The referee opting not to award the spot kick, the second penalty shout of the half. 

Minutes later Macarthur got the first goal of the match, coming from captain Valere Germain. The Frenchman finding some space in the right corner of the box, placing it past Danny Vukovic in the 57th minute. 

The Mariners did put the ball in the back of the net only five minutes later, with Brad Tapp blasting it in from close range on his A-League debut. The goal initially ruled out for offside, before being awarded, before again being crossed off after VAR intervention. 

The Central Coast had further chances to score an equaliser, never quite being able to find the back of the net. Kearyn Baccus doubling the away team’s lead in the 84th minute, again scoring against the run of play. 

The Mariners did grab one after some brilliant work from Noah Smith. The defender pushing past his marker and into the penalty area, before cutting the ball across to the oncoming Brian Kaltak. 

The Vanuatu international calmly placing the ball into the right corner of the goal, his first in the A-League, to bring the score back to 2-1 in the 91st minute. 

Despite a few final chances, the Mariners were unable to grab another goal, ultimately falling to a 2-1 defeat. Our attention now turns to Perth Glory next Saturday night, before playing Bali United on Wednesday.