Mariners secure historic first win of the A-League Women’s season against Adelaide

The Central Coast Mariners secured a historic victory in the Liberty A-League Women’s competition on Friday afternoon, coming away with a 2-1 win over Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium. 

After dominating the majority of the clash, the Mariners found themselves leading by two in the 55th minute thanks to goals from Captain Taren King and Wurigumula. 

Despite fighting back and scoring in the 68th minute the home side were unable to find an equaliser, with our Mariners holding firm to secure the three points. 

The opening 15 minutes saw both side trying to gain a foothold in the match, with the two team’s having half chances to open up the scoring. Neither side were able to make it past the two keepers, with the pair producing a few fine saves. 

Rola Badawiya had a couple of strong chances to open the scoring, with Claudia Jenkins all that was stopping the American from getting her first of the season. 

The home side thought that they had the opening goal of the match after Rosetta Taylor rounded Newbon and was staring at an open net in the 30th minute. 

As she was just about to shoot, defender Ash Irwin proved to be the hero, blocking the shot while also collecting a knee to the head to keep the score level at nil-all. 

After further sustained pressure the Mariners did grab our first of the season, with Badawiya playing in a long cross from near the sideline.

The ball floating into the area and onto the head of Jazmin Wardlow, who played it across to our Captain. 

King making no mistake from in front, looping the ball over Jenkins and into the back of the net. The goal giving the Central Coast a 1-0 lead heading into half time. 

Coming out for the second half, the Mariners continued to apply some serious pressure, with Chinese International Wurigumula having a couple of close chances denied. 

It was however third time’s the charm for the striker, after midfielder Isabel Gomez played in an inch perfect cross to find her in space just nine yards out. 

Wurigumula taking a touch before burying it into the top corner, securing her first and the team’s second in the 55th minute to double our lead. 

Another strong save from Jenkins denied Annabel Martin a goal at the near post, before Adelaide hit back against the run of play. 

The home side executing a set play from a corner, which ended with defender Ella Tonkin finding the back of the net. 

Desperate and resolute defending from the Mariners held out the home side as they pushed late for an equaliser, with the final score ending in a 2-1 win for the Mariners. 

The side now have two weekend’s off due to the international break and a postponed game against Sydney FC, next taking the field at Industree Group Stadium on November 12th against Brisbane.