Mariners complete Bulls sweep with gutsy road win

The Mariners celebrate Jack Clisby's goal in Campbelltown

The Central Coast Mariners moved closer to booking an A-League finals spot as they completed a clean sweep of Macarthur with a 2-1 win in Campbelltown on Thursday night.

Goals to Jack Clisby and Daniel DeSilva completed another comeback win for the visitors after they went behind early to Markel Susaeta’s goal.

Alen Stajcic made no changes to the side that lost narrowly to Melbourne City and with a point to prove the Mariners came out of the blocks quickly, Clisby firing over after he found space to shoot.

Macarthur fought their way back into the game though and went ahead after 17 minutes, a long ball over the top finding Susaeta running in behind and he deftly chipped Mark Birighitti to put his team in front.

From there the Mariners responded strongly, and drew level just after the half hour mark. A darting run from Marco Urena drew a number of defenders, before he played the ball to strike partner Matt Simon.

A deft touch from Simon put the ball into the path of Clisby and he gave Adam Federici no chance with a rocket into the far side of the goal.  

The fullback almost had two as he struck the side netting moments later, and appeared to have a second when he put the ball in the net once more, only for an offside to be flagged in the leadup to the goal.

The Mariners fluency and width was causing problems for the hosts, while in the middle Oli Bozanic and Gianni Stensness controlled proceedings and the two sides went into half time locked at 1-1 but with the visitors on top.

It took just nine minutes of second half action for Stajcic’s side to pull ahead, with some wonderful combo play up front again.

Urena was at his best, getting to a long ball and cutting back inside before drawing a defender and laying the ball off to DeSilva, who curled an inch perfect strike past Federici and into the top corner.

From there it was a gutsy defensive effort as the Mariners dug in to keep at bay a Macarthur side pushing hard for an equaliser.

Federici kept Urena out after a good combination on the right, and Mark Birighitti was on hand to deny Macarthur at close range and from set pieces.

Alou Kuol almost pulled off a stunner after coming on as he turned two defenders inside out before having his shot saved, but the visitors were resolute and kept the Bulls out to finish victorious.

Attentions now turn to Tuesday’s #F3Derby at Central Coast Stadium. Get your tickets now!