Late McGree strike ends Mariners’ cup run


Central Coast Mariners 1 (Clisby 62’) Adelaide United 2 (Blackwood 74’, Mcgree 90’)

The run down

It was fast, free flowing football at the start with both sides not afraid to throw players forward in attack. Adelaide found numbers on the counter however the Mariners defence restricted the Reds to half chances on goal.

The best chance of the first half fell to Sam Silvera, as the promising attacker saw his header blocked on the line into the crossbar.

Silvera continued to look lively on the ball throughout the game and looked like a threat as he was able to create chances for the yellow and navy.

Adelaide had a great chance themselves through Riley Mcgree however his attempt was blocked by Kye Rowles. Tempers started to flair towards the end of the half, but the referee called an end to a very open and entertaining half of football.

It was a scrappier affair in the second half as both sides struggled to find a rhythm. Adelaide were first to have a chance with striker Kristian Opseth striking the post after a low delivery into the area.

The Mariners were quick to have a chance of their own through Jordan Murray, but his effort was saved by the on-rushing Isaac Richards. The deadlock was finally broken in the 62nd minute though when Jack Clisby’s set piece delivery evaded everyone and found its way into the goal.

Adelaide fought hard for the equaliser and hit the crossbar through George Blackwood and with just under 20 minutes to go the Mariners were reduced to 10 men when Matt Simon received his second yellow card.

Adelaide took full advantage and in just two minutes later, Blackwood thumped home Nikola Mileusnic’s cross from close range.

Adelaide looked dangerous on the attack and a cross by McGree was glanced into the side netting by Mileusnic. It looked like the game was heading into extra time until McGree converted his one on one effort in the 90th minute to secure the victory for the away side.

Join us for the new season by becoming a Member today!


62’ CLISBY (1-0): Jack Clisby saw his cross come shot loop over everyone in the box and into the goal.

74’ BLACKWOOD (1-1): The Adelaide man was found free inside the box from a Mileusnic cut back and the forward made no mistake placing his shot past Birighitti.

90’ MCGREE (1-2): A nice flick on by Opseth put Riley Mcgree one on one with Birighitti and the midfielder calmly slotted his strike in the near post.


Central Coast Mariners: 1. Mark BIRIGHITTI (GK), 2. Ziggy GORDON, 3. Jack CLISBY, 7. Milan DURIC, 9. Jordan MURRAY, 10. Thomas OAR, 11. Daniel DESILVA, 15. Kye ROWLES, 16. Dylan FOX, 17. Samuel SILVERA, 19. Matthew SIMON (c)

Substitutes not used: 12. Adam PEARCE (GK), 6. Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO, 8. Michael MCGLINCHEY, 14. Abraham MAJOK, 26. Joshua NISBET

Yellow cards: OAR 23, SIMON 46’, 72’

Red cards: Simon 72’

Adelaide United: 30. Isaac RICHARDS (GK), 4. Ryan STRAIN, 7. Ryan KITTO, 8. Riley MCGREE (16. Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS 95’), 11. Kristian OPSETH, 14. George BLACKWOOD, 22. Michael JAKOBSEN (c), 23. Jordan ELSEY, 26. Ben HALLORAN, 27. Louis D’ARRIGO (6. Vince LIA 57’), 35. Al Hassan TOURE (17. Nikola MILEUSNIC 66’)

Substitutes not used: 1. Daniel MARGUSH, 2. Michael MARRONE

Yellow cards: MCGREE 65’

Wednesday, 2 October 2019
Central Coast Stadium, Gosford
Crowd: 5572
Central Coast Mariners vs. Adelaide United