Glory Too Good For Mariners Youth

The Central Coast Mariners National Youth League side has missed a golden opportunity to go top of the league after going down to the Perth Glory 1-nil this morning.

The Central Coast Mariners National Youth League side has missed a golden opportunity to go top of the league after going down to the Perth Glory 1-nil this morning.

A lone goal from veteran Eugene Dadi was all that separated the two sides in their clash at Pluim Park, Lisarow.

The Young Mariners dominated for the majority of the match but it was the visitors from the West Australian capital who will be leaving the Central Coast satisfied.

Mariners left-sided midfielder Matthew Lewis thought he had opened the scoring for the hosts in just the 12th minute of play, but was denied for an apparent handball in the build up.

Perth made the most of their good fortune with their captain Andrija Jukic forcing Andrew Redmayne to make a spectacular one handed save in the twentieth minute.

The drinks break gave respite to the players from the stifling heat of Pluim Park and it seemed to re-energise both sides, who lifted the tempo of the match noticeably.

Hyundai A-League squad member Shane Huke took a quick snapshot in the 23rd minute in an attempt to catch Aleks Vrteski off guard.

Perth had the next two scoring chances with Jukic dragging his shot across the face of goal and Glen Trifiro trying his luck from distance.

The Mariners began to get into the rhythm of their attack with a lovely passage of passes allowing David D-Apuzzo to have a shot, which was deflected to the boot of Gavin Forbes. Forbes was unable to capitalise on his chance with the ball falling into the awaiting arms of Vrteski.

With ten minutes remaining in the half Lewis tried his luck from distance and his stinging shot forced Vrteski into parrying the shot away.

The Mariners final scoring chance of the first half came from the boot of emerging Young Socceroo Brendan Griffin. Griffin was the recipient of a perfectly timed pass from Huke and his audacious chip from 20 yards very nearly embarrassed Vrteski who was standing well off his line.

It was the Young Mariners who had the first goal scoring opportunity of the second half. Brady Smith who was deputising for the absent Panny Nikas as skipper took a long-range strike from 25 yards, which in the end was comfortably handled by Vrteski.

There was action aplenty on the hour mark when both sides called in the cavalry introducing five players into the match and then Perth had the best chance to break the deadlock.

Todd Howarth produced a well timed cross from near the byline, which found an unmarked Eugene Dadi whose header from point-blank range was stopped brilliantly by Andrew Redmayne.

Inspired by the feats of the Young Socceroos ‘keeper, Brendan Griffin produced the Mariner-s best chance of the match in the 74th minute.

Perth-s defender Samuel Mithcinson mistimed a backpass and Griffin eagerly swooped on the loose ball and with a turn of speed was able to evade replacement keeper Alex Pearson. It looked for all the world that a goal was inevitable but Perth-s Scott Neville had other ideas stopping the attack with a brilliant covering tackle. It was an effort that had even the Mariners fans applauding.

The covering tackle lifted the spirits of the Glory who came at the Mariners with renewed vigour and purpose. They didn-t have to wait long for their chance to open the scoring.

A lapse in concentration at the back cost the Young Mariners dearly as Howarth was able to get in a perfectly weighted cross after evading the defence for Eugene Dadi to head home at the far post in the 77th minute.

Now chasing the game the Young Mariners next chance came from a free kick from the boot of Nathan Sherlock from 40 yards. It was a fair effort but from that distance the shot never really troubled Pearson who was able to diffuse the situation comfortably.

Perth had the chance to double their lead and seal the points in the 83rd minute with a stinging shot from the edge of the penalty area by Ludovic Boi. However Young Socceroos shot-stoper Andrew Redmayne again showed why he is so highly valued between the sticks with a brilliant save.

Boi had another chance to seek revenge on Redmayne with a shot with plenty of venom right at the end of regulation time but again Redmayne stood tall blocking the ball by getting his body behind it. The danger was not over for the Mariners with the rebound falling to Scott Neville whose header was off-target.

There were more nervous moments for the team in yellow and navy with Adam Taggart dragging a shot across the face of goal moments later.

With four minutes of stoppage time there was one more chance for the Young Mariners to salvage a point from the match. A Matthew Lewis free kick dropped perfectly for Adam Ormsby but the latter-s header went agonisingly over the crossbar.

Match Details

Central Coast Mariners 1. Andrew REDMAYNE, (GK) 2. Nathan SHERLOCK, 3. David D-APUZZO, (17. David Gullo 60-) 5. Luka DUKIC (11. Mitchell Mallia 46-) 6. Manny GIANNAROS, 7. Brendan GRIFFIN, 9. Gavin FORBES, (8. Nicholas Fitzgerald 60-) 12. Shane HUKE, 14. Brady SMITH 15. Adam ORMSBY, Brady SMITH(C), 18. Matthew LEWIS

Unused Subs 20. Mathew Ryan (GK)

Yellow Cards Forbes 33-, Dukic 36-, Fitzgerald 71-, Mallia 90+3-
Red Cards Nil
Goals Nil

Perth Glory 40. Aleks VRTESKI (GK) (1. Alex PEARSON (GK) 60-), 11. Ludovic BOI, 6. Dean EVANS, 4. Samuel MITHCINSON, 3. Scott NEVILLE, 2. Ryan PEARSON, 5. Joshua RISDON (7. Cameron EDWARDS 60-) 14. Glen TRIFIRO (13. Adam TAGGART 60-) 8. Todd HOWARTH, 10. Andrija JUKIC (C), 15. Jamie HARNWELL (9. Eugene DADI 46-)

Unused Subs None

Yellow Cards Ryan Pearson 82-
Red Cards Nil
Goals Dadi 77-

Referee Brett Hookham

The Central Coast Mariners National Youth League team is in action this Sunday, 6 December, when it takes on Gold Coast United at Southport Tigers. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Mariners Four Match Christmas Packs are available online by clicking here