FNYL Report: Central Coast Mariners youth 3-2 Sydney FC Youth


A heavy downpour and lightning storms brought a premature end to an exciting game of football between Central Coast Mariners youth and Sydney FC youth, the yellow and navy held a 3-2 lead when the match was abandoned in the 67th minute of play.

Unless otherwise determined by Football Federation Australia the three points will remain with the mini Mariners who notched up their lead through a Travis Major brace and Matthew Sim header that were enough to cancel out a James Andrew second half double.

It was an impressive start for the yellow and navy with Hyundai A-League campaigners: Major and Glen Trifiro who linked up for the opener just 25 seconds in. Trifiro had possession on the edge of the box who flicked right to Major, his first time strike with the outside of the boot flew into the bottom corner.

The goal was not enough to deter the visitors who rallied hard for an equaliser that resulted in some end-to-end action and even play between the two sides. Sydney FC youth’s Jordan Tsekenis looked dangerous on the edge of the area on several occasions.

Some big tackles in the middle stages of the first half saw players from both sides lucky to not find themselves with a booking after some heated challenges either way.

It took until the 36th minute for Major to double his tally as well as the home side’s advantage off the back of some brilliant build up play that started in the middle of the park through Trifiro and Anthony Kalik who threaded the ball into space for Major to easily slide his shot into the bottom corner for a 2-0 lead.

Both teams went into the sheds at half time but it was the junior sky blues who came out firing in the second half to jag a goal back through Andrew. Substitute Charles Lokoli Ngoy broke down the left side and delivered a precision cross to Andrew who made no mistake with his finish.

The yellow and navy were quick to hit back in similar fashion as Lachlan Wales broke down the right hand side and lobbed over an accurate cross that found an unmarked Matt Sim on the far post who headed home with ease to extend his side’s lead to two goals.

In the 55th minute there was drama on the goal line as Brent Griffiths picked up a red card for a handball, resulting in a penalty and one-man disadvantage against the yellow and navy.

It was Sydney FC youth’s Andrew who stepped up to the mark and buried the spot kick to close his side’s deficit to 3-2.

There was more drama to come in the following 10 minutes through a Sydney FC missed penalty, followed closely by lightning storms that saw the match abandoned.

The premature end to the match finishes the Central Coast Mariners Foxtel National Youth League season on 26 points on level terms with Adelaide United youth in sixth place (pending Adelaide’s result this weekend).