Academy Wrap: Women’s and Girls (March 19th)

It was a largely successful weekend for the Central Coast Mariners Girl’s and Women’s academies, with three matches taking place in Sydney on Sunday. 

The under 20’s women’s match was postponed due to the extreme weather at Jamison Park synthetic fields, with the game to be rescheduled for a later date. 

Our under 16’s side also saw their game postponed following the forecast of temperatures in the high 30’s. They too will see their match played another time. 

First grade vs Nepean FC

The Central Coast Mariners first grade women’s academy side have secured their second consecutive win of the season, coming away 1-0 victors over Nepean FC. 

An early goal from former Matilda Servet Uzunlar was a deserved outcome after a dominant first half that saw the side enter the attacking third upwards of thirty tines. 

Nepean’s low defensive block and disciplined approach made them difficult to break down, with the Mariners heading into the break leading 1-0. 

The second half was more of the same, with the Central Coast dominating the majority of the play. 

Unable to score a second, two brilliant stops from goalkeeper Kiara Fontanilla saved the Mariners from conceding an undeserved late equaliser. The match ending 1-0 in warm conditions. 

Currently sitting in first as the only team with two wins, the Mariners now prepare to travel to Mt Druitt next weekend in search of a third consecutive victory. 

Girls Youth vs Nepean FC 

The Mariners girls academy travelled to Cook Park at St Mary’s on Sunday morning, getting in two of the three matches initially scheduled. 

Our under 14’s kicking off the day, having a tough match against Nepean FC. Down 3-0 at half time, the home side were able to control much of the proceedings. Three more goals sealed the victory for the home side, with the Mariners able to score one second half goal. 

The team will look to regroup before next round, travelling to play Mt Druitt Rangers FC on Sunday. 

The under 15’s secured an incredibly pleasing result, grabbing their second consecutive win to begin the season. 

Up 3-1 at half time with the lead a deserved one, the side went from strength to strength in the second period. 

Four extra goals saw the team run out 7-2 victors, keeping their perfect record intact and placing them in third on goal difference. 

Our upcoming opponent, Mt Druitt Town FC, are coming off a 1-0 loss to St George, with all eyes now on making it three in a row next Sunday.