After 8 long years of hard work to be back in the A-League Women’s competition, we are calling all sports fans to get behind this important moment in history for the club and women’s football in this country. Here are some key facts that every Mariners fan should be aware of:
- With the Mariners joining the league, the whole A-League Women’s competition will finally have a full home and away season of 22 rounds, that in turn lifts the minimum wages for all female players in the A-League.
- Mariners are the only A-League club to be playing all home games at the club’s main stadium, Industree Group Stadium, exactly the same as the men’s.
- Mariners are the only club currently that has a dedicated full time female coach in Emily Husband on a multi-year contract.
- Mariners are the only club that currently has a complete academy pathway from U10 girls all the way through to the A-League.
- Our very own Matilda, Kyah Simon, is the first A-League Women’s player in the A-League to be employed on a full time 12 month playing and ambassadorial contract.
- The Women’s High Performance Centre based at Central Coast Sports College is a dedicated Women’s training facility that includes a state of the art gym provided by World Cup Finalists England (Lionesses). The NSW Government has provided $500k in funding for the long-term development of the Women’s High Performance Centre to be a home base for the Women’s team and drive the development for the next crop of future stars of the A-League.
So, I implore all sports fans to get behind our new team and be part of history on Saturday at 5pm when they take on the Jets in the Women’s F3 Derby. It is important on the back of the FIFA 2023 Women’s World Cup to keep momentum and drive female sport in this country. A great crowd on Saturday will make a statement about what can be achieved.
Changing the game for female athletes is at the core of what this team stands for and being the new role models that will inspire generations of young footballers, both boys and girls.
I look forward to seeing and hearing all Mariners fans this Saturday at 5pm.
Let’s show Australia that the Central Coast is the best place for football in the country! Buy tickets HERE!