Our players and football staff share their 2014 FIFA World Cup predictions!
Central Coast Mariners players and football staff officially wrapped up their 2013/14 season on Friday, but before they took off on leave we quizzed a few of the guys about their 2014 FIFA World Cup predictions.
Players Nick Fitzgerald, Mile Sterjovski, Nick Montgomery, Eddy Bosnar, and Brent Griffiths, as well as Strength & Conditioning Coach Tim Knight, each answered three questions on tournament set to take place in Brazil during June and July.
There was plenty of love for the Seleção to take out the title on home soil, while Germany’s Nationalmannschaft also received a glowing review from our pundits.
As for player of the tournament and the chances of Australia-s national team, some of our guys reckon their former teammate Mat Ryan will be amongst the cream of the crop, and most think the Socceroos will hold their own against three of the world-s classiest sides.
Here were our questions to the boys followed by their answers:
1. Who will win the World Cup & why?
2. How will the Socceroos perform in Brazil?
3. Who do you think will win the Golden Ball (Best Player) & why?
1. “Brazil will win. They have too much class and the home crowd behind them.”
2. “The Socceroos will shock everyone and make it past the group stage.”
3. “Maty Ryan will show his class and be ‘keeper of the tournament.”
1. “Germany will win. They are always consistent and a great tournament team.”
2. “The Socceroos will earn respect for the way they will perform in Brazil.”
3. “Maty Ryan will continue his great form from Belgium and have an awesome tournament.”
1. “Brazil will win the World Cup as they have so much talent and the added support of hosting the competition on their own turf.”
2. “In my opinion the Socceroos don-t have much expectation on them and they are in a tough group.”
3. “I think this World Cup Lionel Messi will be the stand out. He is the best player in the World but has not really produced in previous tournaments, so I think this will be his time to show he is one of the greatest to have ever played the game.”
1. “I think the Final might be Brazil vs. Argentina and I think Argentina will win the World Cup.”
2. “I think Australia will have a tough time at the World Cup, but because it-s a young, fit and hungry team they will be difficult to beat. I hope they beat Chile and draw with The Netherlands and that might be enough to make the second round.”
3. “I can-t pick just one. My top three would be Steven Gerrard, Lionel Messi, and Cristiano Ronaldo.”
1. Brazil, because they-re the host nation and have so much passion and pride to play infront of their home fans. Not to mention they have a ridiculous team.”
2. “They will do well but won-t progress from the Group Stage.”
3. “Diego Costa if he-s fit. He-s a ruthlessly strong, fast striker that will tear apart defences.”
1. “Brazil will be tough to beat on home turf, but I think they will be pipped at the post by the Germans.”
2. “The Socceroos obviously have one of the toughest groups but it will be a good experience for the new crop of players and show them where they need to be for the future. I think they-ll exit with one point via a draw against Chile.”
3. “Mario Götze for player of the tournament.”